Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Not DEP

I have modified one of the three functions from Mark Hammond's PyWin32 library to be integrated into the _subprocess.c file of the Python 3.1 source code. When I first attempted to compile the Python source code in Windows yesterday, I encountered a linking error: "LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file '.\python31_d.lib'". Unable to compile the code, I went to the Python-Dev list for assistance and a few suggestions were made but none seemed to work. I disabled Windows Data Execution Protection and restarted my machine and downloaded the Python 3.1 source code from the SVN library. That code compiled fine and I considered the issue resolved.

As the old saying goes "correlation does not imply causation." I have, again, encountered the same linking error and can no longer compile the Pytohn source. I downloaded both the Python 3.2 code from the Subversion repository again; did not compile. I downloaded the official Python 3.1 code Gzipped and Bzipped tarbills; neither compiled.

Luckily, I thought ahead when I woke up and prepared to compile the _subprocess.c file with Mark Hammond's code integrated into it. I downloaded the Python 3.1 tar ball and attempted to compile taking screenshots at each step.

I downloaded the Python 3.1 source tar ball from python.org.


Using WinRAR, I extracted the source code.

I tried double clicking the pcbuild.sln file and right clicking and selecting open but neither of those actions did anything. The cursor changed to an hour glass briefly but Visual C++ did not open.

I then opened Visual C++ and went to "File," then "Open."


I browsed for the pcbuild.sln file and selected it to open.
A modal error dialog about a limitation in my version of Visual C++ popped up.

The project opens after hitting "OK" so I right click on the "python" portion of the project and hit "Build."

It proceeds to build but eventually errors at the end of the process.
Build log output: http://pastebin.com/m616681cc

No comments:

Post a Comment